When creating a bug report for any project within the Hibernate family, it’s extremely helpful (and, frankly, required)
to have an adequate test case available. This is obviously important to make reproducing the issue as easy as possible.
But it’s also vital longer-term. Nearly every bug fix should include a regression test, which is frequently based on the
original reproducer (sometimes, it’s the reproducer, verbatim).
What do you get from a 10+ year old open source framework, thousands of users within a wide range of roles, and complexity? A JIRA instance with over 3,000 unresolved tickets ;). Is that number indicative of low software quality? Definitely not. But therein lies the problem. A vast majority of the tickets are no longer issues, no longer relevant, or duplicates. Due to the quantity, it became nearly impossible to weed through them all.
Shortly after releasing ORM 4.3.2.Final and 4.2.9.Final a critical regression was found, caused by HHH-8961 and reverted/corrected by HHH-9010. Instead of creating service-pack builds, we decided to simply release the next versions.
Shortly after releasing 4.2.7.Final, a regression was found (caused in 4.2.6.Final) that may affect some usages of Date, Calendar-as-a-Date, and JDBC Dates. See https://hibernate.atlassian.net/browse/HHH-8617 for more information. So, we decided to release 4.2.7.SP1 to correct it.