It's been a few months, and we're finally close enough on Seam 2.1.2 to push CR1 out for you guys. We don't have a ton of new features this time around. Instead, we've focussed primarily on bug fixes, stability and minor enhancments, with 165 JIRA items cleared. I'd really like to thank the Seam community as a whole for the participation levels we've seen in this release. We've seen an increase in the quality of the JIRA requests and an even bigger increase in the number of issues with patches and test cases. Seeing open source work is a beautiful thing.
In the last few weeks I had to migrate a MySQL database and it turned out to be more difficult than I thought. In the past I've used the tools that ship with MySQL, such as mysqldump and its various options. For the recent migrations that was surprisingly... impossible.
What, you didn't think it was possible? Of course it is! Although the Seam development team encourages you to use Hibernate as the JPA provider, Seam is capable of working with any JPA provider. This entry will show you how.
The anticipated conclusion to my two part article on how to improve the performance of your JSF-based Seam application by two orders of magnitude is finally available at JSFCentral. I've also released the source code cited in the article.
As many of you will have noticed, recently we (the Seam team) have been putting our energy into other efforts than Seam 2. I've been working on Web Beans (the reference implementation of JSR-299). Shane has been working on the JSR-299 TCK (to test all implementations of JSR-299 for compatibility with the spec). Dan and I have spent a lot of time pushing some of the JSF improvements from Seam into JSF 2 (the proposed final draft should be up any day now!).